12.22.2004
 
Flashing & Transferring Files
Here's what you need to do.

First install the V710 USB driver.

Reboot.

Then install PST.

Reboot.

Then run the patch inside the PST directory. Make sure to keep hitting next until it says finished.

Next put the .ini file inside the PST install directory.

Reboot again. (This is probably not necessary but better safe than sorry.)

It is wise to have a fully charged phone before flashing it. Mine was never fully fully charged... but others have had problems.

Plug the USB cable into the phone. Then plug the cable into the computer. When it asks for drivers, point it to the PST directory. You may need to do this several times.

Make sure you have the .shx file (the latest flash) downloaded and unzipped and readily accessible.

Go to the start menu, find Motorola PST and click on Flash and Test Commands.

It should say something like "establishing connection with phone".

In the bottom left hand corner you'll see a field with device, port, and connection. Under that you should see "Motorola P2K, 0, USB". If you don't, unplug the phone and plug it back in.

The software is very finicky. You may need to reboot the computer several times.

Once it connects to the phone, click browse, and find the .shx file.

Click where it says "Motorola P2K" then click device.

It should enable the flash button.

Then click flash.

It's gonna take several minutes.

When it's finished unplug the phone from the cable. Reboot the computer and the phone. This is a very important step. I didn't see the need to do it and it drove me nuts cause MPT wouldn't work.

When in doubt... reboot (both the computer and the phone.)

Install Mobile Phone Tools.

Reboot.

Connect the phone.

Start Mobile Phone Tools. It should do a live update. You may need to reboot again.

Once it's done with the live update you should be able to run MPT and have it connect to your phone.

If it doesn't connect with your phone, click on menu (which is the top middle button on the phone... not the vertical row of buttons on the right side of the phone)

Goto setup, then General Setup, click on the communications tab, then click "change modem..." The device configuration window will come up. Make sure the phone is connected (duh) and click next. Select "Motorola USB modem #2" and click next. Check "Do not automatically detect the driver, select from list." and click next. In device manager select "Motorola CDMA" and in Device model select "Motorola V710m" Make sure you don't choose "Motorola V710". The "m" is important. Click next and then finish. Then click okay. And you should be set. As always, reboot the phone and the computer afterwards if you have problems and try again.

Let me know if this works for you.

Once its running correctly, you can click on the multimedia studio button (on the vertical row of buttons to the right of the phone). This is what you use to transfer files between the computer and phone.

I just use the USB cable but if your computer has Bluetooth, and you activate Bluetooth on the phone, I've read people can transfer files that way too. I haven't tried it so I don't know.

Comments:
What if Motorola USB modem #2 is not an option and V710m is not an option.

What would cause that?
 
I've not had this problem so I can only speculate.

My first question to you is...

Did you run the patch in the PST directory? Did you keep clicking next until it said finished? It has to patch six or seven files before it says finished.

Next, did you put the .ini file in the PST directory?

If you did all that and it's still not working I would suggest two things. 1) Search Howard Forums for someone having the same problem or 2) get on an Efnet IRC channel (Internet Relay Chat) and join room #v710. One of those guys should be able to help you.
 
Hey, first I want to say thanks for the incredibly informative page. I've been looking for something like this and you really hit the mark. My only question is in regards to the file transfer. I can't seem to get the multimedia studio to work. I've gone through and picked the 710m which gave me the MM Studio button on the right and I can open it up but when I try to transfer pics it says processing failed and unable to connect with phone, yet when I cancel out of it I can download my calendar, contacts, etc. Have you seen this happen before? Any known work around?
 
I have the same problem, where I'll go to the configuration window and the only options I have to choose from is BCM V.90 56K Modem #3 and Motorola USB Modem. As far as I remembered, I installed all the patches and the .ini file in the directory.
 
Dakev,

Everything worked flawlessly. Very well done. I'm waiting now for the release of the BT800, looks cool.

One support request, after flashing, the ONLY thing that did not work was "digit dial". It rolls to the screen where it should wait for you to pronounce the number as the time bar ascends, but it freezes at that point. Reflash? Seem Edit?
Bribe= how do I pay into the headset fund ?? .... AS ALL OF US WHO BENEFIT SHOULD !!! I'll go back and look for a contribute button....
 
Disregard the support request, All I needed to do was "ADAPT" the digit dial feature. The factory default load must not have been included in the flash. After adaptation, flawless operation. Once again to all, good work.

CONTRIBUTE TO THIS MAN'S HEADSET FUND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Newbie question: When i launch PST and click onn Mot P2K, I get the error message "Unable to connect to the Subscriber Unit. Unable to get string descriptors."

Any help/suggestions?
 
THIS IS A REPLY TO THE QUESTION:

Hey, first I want to say thanks for the incredibly informative page. I've been looking for something like this and you really hit the mark. My only question is in regards to the file transfer. I can't seem to get the multimedia studio to work. I've gone through and picked the 710m which gave me the MM Studio button on the right and I can open it up but when I try to transfer pics it says processing failed and unable to connect with phone, yet when I cancel out of it I can download my calendar, contacts, etc. Have you seen this happen before? Any known work around?

SOLUTION: I had the same problem and was about to give up. Then I decided to flash my phone with an older flash version: 8700_1.02.SD. It is on the iNetron.com site, and now everything works! Love the mp3 ringtones!
 
Could you tell me where to get the software and usb cable
 
Which ini file do I need to put in the PST Install Directory, and where is the directory? Also, which shx file is it, and where do you get it? Thanks!
 
Which ini file do I need to put in the PST Install Directory, and where is the directory? Also, which shx file is it, and where do you get it? Thanks!
 
I've had the same problem with no USB modem #2 and no V710m. Which .ini file is it and where is the PST install directory? Thanks very much for your help.
 
I've had the same problem with no USB modem #2 and no V710M. Which .ini file is it and where is the PST install directory? Thanks.
 
I've had the same problem with no USB modem #2 and no V710M. Which .ini file is it and where is the PST install directory? Thanks.
 
I've had the same problem with no USB modem #2 and no V710M. Which .ini file is it and where is the PST install directory? Thanks.
 
Anyone know if there is a seem that needs edited to enable bluetooth file transfer?
 
I have a problem, when i click Motorola P2K at the bottom, a Error box pops up and it says...

"***Error*** Unable to connect to the Subscriber Unit. Unable to get string descriptors."

PLEASE HELP!!!

Please re play here or contact me on my AIM SCreen name...
AIM Screen Name: Itz Me I3itchez

THANK U!!!
 
What about use with a Verizon RAZR v3m? Everytime I try to upload something from MPT, it says it is unable to connect to my phone.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger